School Social Worker

Student Services & Federal Programs


What is School Social Worker?

School Social Work is a specialized area of practice within the social work profession, focusing on issues that impact student learning and success in school. School Social Workers are the link between the home, school and community in providing direct as well as indirect services to students, families and school personnel to promote and support students' academic and social success. 

In Virginia, School Social Workers are licensed by the Virginia Department of Education, which requires a Master’s degree with over 60 credit hours of coursework and supervised fieldwork in social work and education.

Many School Social Workers complete additional requirements and are also licensed as clinical social workers (LCSW), a credential allowing independent practice in Virginia, including diagnosis and treatment of mental health conditions.

What does a School Social Worker do?

Related Services:

  • Participating in special education assessment meetings as well as individual Educational Planning Meetings
  • Working with those problems in a child's living situation that affect the child’s adjustment in school. (home, school, and community)
  • Preparing social or developmental histories on a child for consideration in special education decisions.
  • Counseling (group, individual and/or family)
  • Mobilizing family, school, and community resources to enable the child to learn as effectively as possible in his or her educational program
  • Assisting in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies.

Services to Students:

  • Providing crisis intervention.
  • Developing intervention strategies to increase academic success.
  • Assisting with conflict resolution and anger management.
  • Helping the child develop appropriate social interaction skills.
  • Assisting the child in understanding and accepting self and others.

Services to Parents & Families

  • Works with parents to facilitate their support in their children's school adjustment.
  • Alleviating family stress to enable the child to function more effectively in school &community.
  • Assisting parents to access programs available to students with special needs.
  • Assisting parents in accessing and utilizing school and community resources.

Services to School Personnel:

  • Providing staff with essential information to better understand factors (cultural, societal, economic, familial, health, etc.) affecting a student’s performance and behavior.
  • Assessing students with mental health concerns.
  • Developing staff in-service training programs.
  • Assisting teachers with behavior management.
  • Providing direct support to staff.

School-Community Liaison:

  • Obtaining and coordinating community resources to meet students' needs.
  • Helping school districts receive adequate support from social and mental health agencies.
  • Advocating for new and improved community/school service to meet the needs of students and families.
  • Helping the system respond effectively to each child's needs.

Service to the School Division:

  • Assist in developing and implementing educational programs for children for exceptional children
  • Developing alternative programs for drop-outs, truants, delinquents, etc.
  • Identifying and reporting child abuse and neglect.
  • Providing consultation regarding school law and school policy including IDEA and Section 504.
  • Providing case management for students and families requiring multiple resources.

(Information obtained from the School Social Work Association of America;


Meet our School Social Worker

Stephanie Leek

Stephanie Leek

Stephanie Leek, MSW, LCSW
School Social Worker
Homeless Education Liaison

Where am I located?

I have offices at both Charles City High School and Charles City Elementary School.


How can you reach me?

High School Office:  804-829-9249 x-14
Elementary School Office:  804-829-9256 x-3118
Cell Phone: 804-301-1871

Charles City County Public Schools

10910 Courthouse Road | Charles City, VA 23030

Office: 804-652-4612 | Fax: 804-829-6723